If you are looking for quick and easy comfort food to make in the slow cooker, you have it right here. Slow Cooker Macaroni Cheese is a delicious quick win! There is no messing around making a white sauce with butter and flour like traditional recipes. It’s really just a case of dumping the ingredients in the slow cooker, and coming back to wonderfully creamy cheese pasta!
It’s no secret in our house that I love Macaroni Cheese, or anything with cheese for that matter! I do make it on the stove now and again, however making it in the slow cooker is so easy that this is now my go to method when I need a hit! I love the fact that it literally takes me only a few minutes to drop in the ingredients and mix them through. Then I can go and get on with something else, and the end result is creamy and delicious!
How do I serve Slow Cooker Macaroni Cheese?
You can serve this straight from the slow cooking pot and it tastes great, however I like to create a crunchy top. To do this, I transfer the Macaroni to a heat proof dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs, herbs, some grated cheese and put it under the grill for a few minutes. It adds a lovely bit of extra texture. Grilling it (rather than putting it in the oven) means the whole dish doesn’t dry out.
Slow Cooker Macaroni cheese is one of those dishes which you can just serve as is, or it can make a great accompaniment to a variety of other foods. For example, it’s a popular side in American style BBQ restaurants so it goes well with some other recipes such as BBQ Pulled Pork or Pulled Chicken. It’s also really convenient to add in a few ‘extra’s’ to the Macaroni cheese whilst it’s cooking such as veggies (peas and sweetcorn work well) or throw some crispy bacon on the top before you grill it!
How long can you keep Macaroni Cheese?
Once cooked the Macaroni cheese is good for 2 to 3 days if kept in an air tight container in the fridge. You may find the pasta starts to congeal, but this is easily fixed. Just start to warm through the pasta and stir in a little milk as you go. This will gently separate the pieces before you serve it up.
Slow Cooker Macaroni Cheese
- 350 g dried macaroni pasta
- 25 g butter
- 700 ml milk
- 250 ml cream double or heavy cream
- 150 g mature cheddar grated. Note 25g of this is reserved for sprinkling on top once cooked.
- 75 g Parmesan grated
- ½ tsp basil dried
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1½ tsp paprika ground
- ½ tsp black pepper ground
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
For the topping
- 38 g 1 slice of bread toast and grate or blend until breadcrumbs
- 25 g mature cheddar grated
- parsley handful, finely chopped
- Turn the slow cooker onto low and add all ingredients into the pot. Mix the ingredients and ensure that the pasta is completely covered in the milk and cream sauce.
- Replace the lid and allow to cook through for 1.5 hours until the pasta is soft. Stir through well.
- To create the crispy topping, spoon out the macaroni cheese into an oven safe dish and sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs, chopped parsley and 25 g of grated cheddar. Grill for 2-3 minutes until golden and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.