If you’re a spicy food fan but fancy trying something a little different, then we’re going to show you how to make the perfect Slow Cooker Chilli Beef Brisket!
This chilli recipe really goes back to original ‘Tex-Mex’ roots as it uses a cut of meat rather than minced (or ground) beef as we see in most British chilli recipes. Beef brisket is cooked low and slow to produce tender and succulent shreds of meat covered in a fiery tomato and chilli sauce.
Using brisket creates quite a difference not only in the look, but also in the taste. Brisket has a real “beefy” taste that comes out beautifully in this recipe.
Couple this with a hot chilli spice mix from Schwartz which is a lovely blend of herbs and spices (and just the right amount of heat), and you have a delicious, and very easy to make chilli beef brisket.
Ingredients in Chilli Beef Brisket
Here’s what you need. And yes, you can get all of the ingredients at your local supermarket!
- Best beef for chilli – Beef brisket is best because it becomes super tender and juicy after being slow cooked for hours. You could also use chuck, skirt, or shin. Basically any of the tougher cuts, the fat and collagen in the meat will break down whilst cooking and add to the tenderness.
- Spices – Schwartz Hot Chilli Con Carne recipe mix.
- Beef Stock – Stock cubes or stock pots work well.
- Secret Ingredients – A dash of maple syrup and a spoon of coffee, for a rich and dark flavour in the sauce!
All in all, a fairly short list of ingredients.
Fall Apart Beef Brisket
Start by seasoning and searing the meat. Do not be tempted skip this step! The searing kicks off the Maillard reaction, which adds buckets of flavour to the brisket. You definitely don’t want to miss out on this! Follow up by rubbing half of the spice mix into the meat.
Next you combine everything in the slow cooker. And that’s it. Literally the easiest and tastiest chilli on the planet!
You’ll know the meat is cooked as you’ll be able to pull it apart without too much trouble. If the meat is still fighting back – cook it for longer!
Once you’ve got some beautiful shredded beef brisket (try not to eat it all just yet), stir it back into the slow cooker.
Why you can’t go wrong with this recipe:
- The brisket is slow cooked – this really adds a fantastic depth of flavour! Brisket is a forgiving cut of meat, so you don’t need to watch it like a hawk all day.
- Seasoning is easy – because we use a pre-made spice mix you don’t need to keep loads of spices ready in your cupboard, and it’s easy to throw together in a short period of time.
What to serve with Chilli?
This is why this recipe is so great, it’s versatile! Here are a few ideas:
- It makes a great topping for nachos, pile on the guacamole and sour cream and enjoy!
- Serve with rice like any other chilli con carne.
- If you’re feeding a crowd, put a big bowl out on the table and let people fill their own tacos or soft flour wraps. Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese is great on the side!
Other Spicy Mexican Recipes
If you’re reading this recipe, then you obviously like your food to have a kick. Why not try these other spicy Mexican food ideas?
What about leftovers?
On the rare occasion you have some chilli beef brisket left, then it can be stored in the fridge for up to three days in an airtight container. Alternatively it’ll keep in the freezer for up to three months.
When reheating, ensure it’s piping hot all the way through!
Slow Cooker Chilli Beef BrisketPrint Pin Rate
- 750 g beef brisket
- 1 Schwartz Hot Chilli Mix
- 500 g tomato passata
- 400 g kidney beans – tinned and drained
- 1 large white onion – chopped
- 1 red pepper (capsicum) – diced
- 1 green pepper (capsicum) – diced
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 250 ml beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- For best results take the beef brisket from the fridge around 30 minutes before cooking. Remove any string and season the joint well with the salt and pepper before placing in a pre-heated pan in oil. Sear each side until brown (approximately 5 minutes).
- Remove the meat from the pan and when it's cooled enough to touch, smother the entire joint in half of the chilli spice mix and rub well! Add the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add the kidney beans, peppers, onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl melt the stock pot, instant coffee, remaining spice mix and tomato paste in the hot water, stirring until dissolved. Then add the maple syrup and tomato passata and mix well.
- Pour the sauce into the slow cooker covering the meat and vegetables. Add the stick of cinnamon and bay leaves, ensuring they are also submerged in the sauce.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours. You'll know the meat is cooked as it'll pull apart easily with two forks.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker into a roasting dish or bowl, and use two forks to pull it into shreads.
- Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick from the sauce and then add the shredded meat back into the slow cooker. Stir well and serve!