How can something that is so simple to make taste so indulgent and delicious?! This recipe for slow cooker rice pudding makes a rich and creamy dessert which is perfect for serving hot or cold.
Rice pudding is one of those desserts that many people have their ‘own’ recipe and ways of cooking. Traditionally in Britain it is made in the oven (which is the way I remember from when I was younger!) or on the stove. However, it can also be made very easily in the slow cooker.
Why use a slow cooker for rice pudding?
Baking in the oven produces a pudding that has a denser texture, and the top tends to brown and create that infamous cooked milk skin!
When you slow cook rice pudding you end up with a very different result, the texture is much creamier and smoother throughout. The rice really fluffs up and you get a pudding which you can stir through perfectly.
The beauty of cooking it this way (aside from being very simple and tasting fantastic!) is that it makes it so easy to serve a number of different ways. Enjoy it hot with spices, or cold with some fresh red berries on top.
What ingredients are in Slow Cooker Rice Pudding?
Although the general recipe for rice pudding is very simple, the ingredients can vary a little depending on how rich you want to make it. Personally, I like the richer end of the scale and when I make it I add in cream, butter and a dash of vanilla.
This creates a pudding which is very silky and creamy in looks and taste. It really feels like a treat to eat whilst still being very cost effective!
The ingredients for this crock pot rice pudding recipe are:
- Pudding rice
- Vanilla essence
And that’s it!
Do I have to use pudding rice?
Pudding rice is a broad, short grain rice and holds up to the slow cooking required to make rice pudding. This is definitely the the best choice.
Arborio (risotto) rice is a similar shape to pudding rice and can be used as a substitute. The grain is a little firmer and will still produce a nice pudding, although it will take a little longer to cook.
Long grain rice varieties are much more delicate and will break down in the milk. You’ll lose the definition of the rice and end up with a more ‘stodgy’ texture in the pudding.
How to make Slow Cooker Rice Pudding?
There really isn’t much of a method to follow! It’s literally a case of putting everything in the pot, stirring through, then cooking. If you want a real no-fuss pudding then this is the one to make!
What can I serve with it?
As rice pudding is sweet and creamy, the accompaniments that work well and compliment the richness tend to have quite distinct flavours.
Some suggestions are:
- Spices. Ground Nutmeg or cinnamon lightly sprinkled on top taste wonderful, especially if you are serving the pudding hot. The flavour and aroma are amazing!
- Berry fruits. Fresh strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries all work beautifully and have a real zing against the creamy pudding. These are a good choice if you are serving it cold.
- Sweetness. A little maple syrup, honey or even jam are a simple choice, but really compliment the flavour of the pudding.
More Hearty Slow Cooker Recipes
If you like the look of this meatloaf recipe, try these other hearty and delicious recipes:
How long will rice pudding keep for?
Slow cooker rice pudding will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three days.
When the pudding cools it will thicken and set. The pudding can be loosened when heated through by adding a little milk and stirring gently. Ensure the pudding is piping hot all the way through before serving.
Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
- 150 g pudding rice
- 750 ml milk
- 300 ml double cream heavy cream
- 35 g butter melted
- 65 g sugar white or golden
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Grease the inside of the pot half way up, with a little softened butter.
- Add all of the ingredients into the pot and stir well.
- Turn on the slow cooker and cook for 3 hours on low.
- The pudding will be cooked when the rice is soft and fluffy, but retaining its shape without becoming mushy. You should still be able to stir through the pudding. Once cooked serve immediately.