This is one of those recipes that once you’ve made it this way, you’ll never make it on a hob again! Simply combine all of the ingredients and you’ll be left with perfect Slow Cooker Chicken Stock a few hours later.
Using all of a roast chicken
Sunday lunch will usually be a perfect slow cooker whole chicken, more than likely followed by a family favourite slow cooker treacle sponge.
The carcass and any other bits left from the chicken will get made into chicken stock using this recipe, which, along with leftover meat will get made into a risotto!
This is a really good way to ensure you use all of the chicken, and minimise waste.
What goes into Slow Cooker Chicken Stock?
The beauty of making slow cooker chicken stock is that there are no hard and fast rules with regards to what you can put in it.
It’s a great way to use up all of a roast chicken, and an even better way to use up vegetables in the fridge that are nearing end-of-life.
I’d encourage you to experiment and make it up as you go along, but if you’re after suggestions, vegetables you could use in slow cooker chicken stock:
If you have leftover herbs from cooking, throw them in too! For example:
- Bay leaf
Tips for tasty Chicken Stock
- Cook it for a long time. The longer you cook your stock, the greater depth of flavour it’ll have.
- Add herbs. Anything you’ve got left in the fridge, don’t be afraid to chuck it in. There are no rules!
- Add Bouquet Garni, if you have it. It usually consists of parsley, a bay leaf and thyme.
- Reduce. Once the stock is cooked you can’t create more flavour, but you can intensify it! Reduce the amount of liquid by boiling fiercely over on a high heat.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stock
- chicken carcass, all meat picked
- 3 litres hot water
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 1 celery roughly chopped
- 1 leek roughly chopped
- 1 bouquet garni
- pinch salt and pepper
- If you've just cooked a roast, pick all the good meat from the carcass and put everything else into the slow cooker. If that includes herbs, onions, meat juices – that's fine – it all adds flavour.
- Add all of the chopped veg, then fill the slow cooker with water leaving about a 2.5cm (1 inch) gap at the top.
- Turn the slow cooker onto low, then cook for at least 8 hours. Whilst you're at work or in bed is perfect!
- Once cooked sieve the mixture, retaining the stock and discarding everything else.
- Tuck a freezer bag into a mug, then pour in your stock to fill the bag within the mug. Once full, seal the bag and repeat the process until you've used all of your stock.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken - Slow Cooker Club
Saturday 15th of May 2021
[…] can even put the carcass back into the slow cooker and make some flavourful slow cooker chicken stock for future soups and […]
Friday 28th of August 2020
This is wonderful and so comforting and tasty, I put lots of overripe tomatoes, red peppers and a little chillie too. It was a delicious soup that we all enjoyed ! 5 Stars for this recipe !