It might sound completely crazy, but it really is possible to make a slow cooker full english breakfast. Rather than having to slave over a hot pan in the morning, simply prep before you go to bed and wake up to a beautiful cooked breakfast ready to eat!
The slow cooker full english breakfast was apparently created by a lady called Sonia Cheetham. She came up with the idea to save time when cooking breakfast for her two teenage daughters.
It was then posted to a Facebook group, went viral, and subsequently picked up by the BBC, The Sun, and various other British news sites.
How to make breakfast in a Slow Cooker
Making breakfast in a slow cooker is easy, however, every ingredient has its own method for perfection:
- Bacon – Roll the bacon rashers into sausage shapes. You’ll find if you press them slightly against the slow cooker they’ll stay in place. They’ll turn out a little like pigs in blankets, except without the pig in the middle!
- Sausages – Place the sausages around the edge of the slow cooker. Ensure that they prop each other up and won’t fall over once the cooker is on.
- Eggs – Crack your eggs into a mug with butter and plenty of seasoning. Mix them well!
- Beans – Empty your beans into a mug. That’s it.
We didn’t cook these when we shot the photos, but you can use the following methods for additional ingredients:
- Tomatoes – Simply empty them into a mug and season well.
- Mushrooms – If you have a large enough slow cooker, place them into a mug with seasoning and butter, or simply wrap them in foil and squeeze them in where you can.
- Hash Browns – They’ll need to touch the edge of the slow cooker if you want them crispy.
What should I serve with a Slow Cooker Fry-Up?
No slow cooker full english breakfast is complete without fresh toast, ketchup, brown sauce (yes, both) and a fresh mug of tea. Ringtons tea, if you’re curious. You can take my wife out of the North, but she’s bringing her tea with her!
If you’re not a fan of scrambled eggs, then simply make fresh fried or poached eggs in the morning to go with your fry-up.
If you’re really hungry, then serve up a small bowl of slow cooker porridge as a starter!
Slow Cooker Full English Breakfast
- 8 sausages
- 8 bacon rashers
- 4 eggs
- 400 g (14 oz) baked beans
- 400 g (14 oz) tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- salt and pepper
- 100 g (1 cups) mushrooms – chopped
- 4 slices bread
- If your slow cooker doesn't have a non-stick pot, then grease the inside of the pot with butter.
- Crack the eggs into a mug, add a splash of milk, knob of butter, salt and pepper to season and mix well. Place into the middle of the slow cooker.
- Empty the can of baked beans into a mug and place into the middle of the slow cooker.
- Empty the can of tomatoes into a mug, season well and place into the middle of the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to a mug, add a knob of butter, season with salt and pepper and place into the middle of the slow cooker.
- Roll the bacon rashers up and place them around the outside of the of the slow cooker.
- Place the sausages around the outside of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. We get it set up, get ready for bed then turn the slow cooker on just before going to sleep!
- Serve with slices of fresh toast.