This is one of those dishes that once on the plate, looks (and tastes!) like it was a lot more effort to make than it really was. Slow Cooker Tarragon Chicken is a great recipe when you have guests and are looking for something a little bit special to serve.
It works just as well when you feel like eating something delicious and comforting yourself!
What Is The Flavour Of Tarragon?
Tarragon is a mix of vanilla and aniseed, and as such adds a beautiful sweet taste to any dish it’s used in.
Tarragon is a staple herb in French cooking, and with good reason. It’s aromatic, fresh tasting and compliments a variety of produce where delicate seasoning is required, such as chicken, fish and eggs.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Tarragon Chicken?
Green vegetables are always a winning combination with Tarragon Chicken. You could use:
- Green beans
Also – obviously not a vegetable – but we love to serve a few slices of crusty bread for mopping up any leftover sauce!
More French Slow Cooker Recipes
Can I Freeze Leftover Crockpot Tarragon Chicken?
Leftovers (if you have any!) can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days, or a month in the freezer.
When reheating, ensure that the tarragon chicken is piping hot all the way through before serving. Cook fresh vegetables to serve alongside it.
How To Make Slow Cooker Tarragon Chicken
The great thing about this recipe is that it really is just a case of chopping up some ingredients and putting them in the slow cooker for a few hours. Serve with some accompaniments from our suggestions and voila! A delicious flavoursome meal!
Slow Cooker Tarragon Chicken
- 500 grams chicken thighs
- 8 sprigs tarragon – remove stalks and roughly chop leaves
- 1 tsp thyme – dried
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed
- 2 tbsp flour – wheat or corn
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp black pepper – ground
- 1/2 tsp Salt – salt flakes were used here, reduce quantity to taste for granules
- 1 onion – medium white
- 1 green pepper
- 2 leeks – small
- 150 grams mushrooms – chestnut mushrooms
- 100 ml double cream
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt – not Greek style
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp oil – cooking oil
- Dice the onions and green pepper and slice the leeks and mushrooms. Place in the Slow Cooker then add the crushed garlic, mustard, tarragon and thyme and then stir through the flour to coat the vegetables.
- If you have skin on Chicken Thighs, season these with a pinch of salt and pepper and place in a pan of hot oil to brown and seal the outside of the meat. Place in the slow cooker with the vegetables. Skinless and boneless chicken thighs can be placed directly into the Slow Cooker with the vegetables.
- Pour over the chicken stock, and add the bay leaves. Place the lid on the Slow Cooker and leave for 10-15 minutes until it begins to heat through.
- Add the yogurt and and double cream and stir through ensuring the vegetables and meat are covered in the sauce. Season with the salt and pepper.As an alternative, the cream and yogurt can be substituted for the same quantity of Creme Fraiche.
- Cook on medium for 5 hours and then serve.