This is one of those dishes that once on the plate, looks (and tastes!) like it was a lot more effort to make than it really was. Slow Cooker Tarragon Chicken is a great recipe when you have guests and are looking for something a little bit special to serve, or just when you feel like eating something delicious and comforting yourself!
Tarragon is one of the staple herbs in classic French cooking, and with good reason. It’s aromatic, fresh tasting and compliments a variety of produce where delicate seasoning is required, such as chicken, fish and eggs. It’s no surprise then that Chicken and Tarragon is a timeless recipe combination and this particular adaptation for the slow cooker is truly delicious!
The great thing about this recipe is that it really is just a case of chopping up some ingredients and putting them in the slow cooker for a few hours. Serve with some fresh green vegetables and voila! A delicious flavoursome meal!
Slow Cooker Tarragon Chicken
- 500 grams chicken thighs
- 8 sprigs tarragon – remove stalks and roughly chop leaves
- 1 tsp thyme – dried
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed
- 2 tbsp flour – wheat or corn
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp black pepper – ground
- 1/2 tsp Salt – salt flakes were used here, reduce quantity to taste for granules
- 1 onion – medium white
- 1 green pepper
- 2 leeks – small
- 150 grams mushrooms – chestnut mushrooms
- 100 ml double cream
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt – not Greek style
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp oil – cooking oil
- Dice the onions and green pepper and slice the leeks and mushrooms. Place in the Slow Cooker then add the crushed garlic, mustard, tarragon and thyme and then stir through the flour to coat the vegetables.
- If you have skin on Chicken Thighs, season these with a pinch of salt and pepper and place in a pan of hot oil to brown and seal the outside of the meat. Place in the slow cooker with the vegetables. Skinless and boneless chicken thighs can be placed directly into the Slow Cooker with the vegetables.
- Pour over the chicken stock, and add the bay leaves. Place the lid on the Slow Cooker and leave for 10-15 minutes until it begins to heat through.
- Add the yogurt and and double cream and stir through ensuring the vegetables and meat are covered in the sauce. Season with the salt and pepper.As an alternative, the cream and yogurt can be substituted for the same quantity of Creme Fraiche.
- Cook on medium for 5 hours and then serve.