Slow Cooker Thai Green Chicken Curry
A beautiful aromatic and light chicken curry.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 500 g chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste adjust according to type of paste and taste preference
- 2 shallots echalion or 'banana' shallots
- 6 baby sweet corn cobs
- 50 g sugar snap peas
- 1 green pepper capsicum
- coriander a good handful, roughly chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lemongrass stick of lemon grass
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce (use Kikkoman Tamari or alternative if gluten free)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- ½ lime juiced
- 2 tbsp flour (use corn flour if gluten free)
- ½ tsp black pepper ground
Cut the chicken thighs into large chunks and place in the slow cooker.
Peel and slice the shallots and roughly chop the pepper. Cut the pieces of corn and sugar snap peas in half. Place all of this in the slow cooker with the chicken and season with the black pepper and roughly chopped coriander. Now sprinkle in the flour and stir through well to ensure everything is coated in the seasoning and flour.
In a pan on the hob, fry the curry paste until it loosens and becomes highly fragrant. Pour in the coconut milk and combine this together until the coconut cream has completely melted and the sauce looks silky.
Pour the paste and coconut milk sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker, squeeze over the lime juice and stir through well. Replace the lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
Thai Green Curry Paste
Depending on the paste used for the sauce you may need to adjust the seasoning at the end of cooking, according to taste. Adjusting the quantity of soy sauce, sugar or lime juice is usually the best place to start.
If you're cooking gluten free, substitute the following ingredients:
- Soy Sauce - Kikkoman Tamari is a good alternative
- Flour - use cornflour instead
Calories: 517kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 1153mg | Potassium: 1066mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 528IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 6mg