Pizza is not likely to be one of the first things you think of when you think “what should I make in my crockpot today?”. However, believe it or not, slow cooker pizza is a really fun recipe to make!
I first came across a Reddit conversation about slow cooker pizza a few years ago, and thought it was a completely daft idea. I generally like daft ideas though, so thought I’d give it a go!
Why Make Pizza In The Slow Cooker?
Obviously there are quicker ways to make pizza than by using a crockpot. But they’re definitely not as fun, and they won’t taste as awesome as this recipe does!
- Easy – It’s ridiculously easy to make! Push in the dough, add the toppings, and cook.
- Smell – Your whole house will smell amazing whilst the pizza is cooking!
- Fun – If you struggle to get little ones to eat, then making pizzas together is a great way to get them involved in their food. Our toddler regularly asks about making pizzas!
Making a slow cooker pizza uses exactly the same ingredients as making a pizza in the oven:
Dough. As this is an easy-prep slow cooker recipe, we use shop-bought fresh pizza dough. Frozen is fine too, just ensure it’s thoroughly defrosted before use.
Tomatoes. Passata is perfect to use as the pizza sauce. Passata is seasoned tomato sauce. Some supermarkets also sell “pizza sauce” – this is fine to use but check that it’s not too heavily flavoured.
Cheese. If you’re able to buy fresh mozzarella in your local supermarket, then definitely opt for that.
The Best Pizza Topping Ideas
Here are some pizza topping ideas you could use for your pizza:
- Hawaiian – my favourite! Cheese, tomato, ham and pineapple.
- Pepperoni – cheese, tomato, pepperoni.
- Meat Feast – cheese, tomato, and any meat you can find on top!
- American Hot – cheese, tomato, pepperoni and fresh chillis.
- Quattro Staggioni – Cheese, tomato, ham, mushrooms, olives and basil.
Slow Cooker Pizza
- 220 g (0.5 lb) pizza dough – (enough for one 12" pizza)
- 350 ml (1.5 cups) passata
- 100 g (1 cups) mozzarella – grated or torn
- fresh basil – chopped
- Oil the inside of the slow cooker – this will stop the pizza sticking once it's cooked.
- Roll out the pizza dough to the approximate size of your slow cooker, place it in and push up the sides of the bowl to form a crust. Poke a few small holes in the centre of the dough, or it will bubble whilst cooking.
- Top the dough with passata, then sprinkle plenty of grated mozzarella over the top. Add your toppings of choice.
- Place a piece of kitchen roll under the lid (this will stop condensation dripping onto your pizza), then cover and cook on low for four hours, or two on high. You'll know it's cooked when the crust starts to brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Allow it to cool slightly, then use a spatula to remove it from the slow cooker. Slice and garnish with chopped basil.